Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thumbprint cookies



No, this is not my recipe, but couldn't keep it to myself. In my quest to find sensible, healthy sweet munchies I came upon this wonderful little cookie from Whole Foods. It's easy, quick and most of all has no refined sugar in it, but almonds (oh my) and apricot jam (homemade!) and oatmeal. How can you go wrong with those?! They also keep well for days (if you can resist inhaling them at once) so they can be given as presents or Christmas cookies. (Now if I could just remember that when the holidays are rolling around!)

Now unto our recipe.......

....and since I finally acquired the pastry flour,

I could actually try sticking to the recipe this time. You see, when I'm missing an ingredient it doesn't stop me from figuring out what to substitute it with. In case you do not own a 5 lb. bag of this beauty, you can mix 1/2 cup of AP flour with 1/2 cup of cake flour. I used to do that, but this little package will last for the next couple of batches of cookies!

For those who do not want to click on the link above, here is the quick recipe:

Grind up a cup of almonds and rolled oats in a food processor until somewhat course (I like mine on the  more meal side). Pour in a bowl and mix it with 1 cup of pastry flour (Bob's is really good!) a pinch of salt, 1/2 cup of oil and maple syrup, respectively.

Using this little device (1.5 inch diameter)


I scooped out the batter unto a cooking sheet, spacing them evenly.


 Now comes the thumb printing part! I have no idea who has that large of a thumb to make the indentation at once?! I had to pat down the cookies with wet fingers to shape them with a little hollow in them.


Aren't they cute?

Now this is where I beg to differ from Whole Foods' directions. 5 tablespoons of jam into 30 cookies? Come on! I believe good jam is never too much. I have a stash of homemade jams of apricot and strawberry every year (my husband is positive we are ready for nuclear catastrophe with those!) and like to use them in my baking. I cook them as little as possible with very little sugar mixed in. I like the fruits to shine, not the sweetness. I never use fruit juice, I just don't see the point to make jelly instead of wonderful fibrous preserves! So my jams look like this:


So whatever is your choice of filling, apply it liberally to the dents, since the rest of the cookie is on the dry side! Then ..... ready.....set......GO IN THE OVEN!



Bake them at 350F for about 15-20 minutes, but watch the edges as they show doneness. The cookie has a lot of almond in it that can become bitter if overbaked.

Hopefully you will enjoy these cookies as much as I do. They might be considered health-foods, but who doesn't want a cookie that kills two birds with one stone. They are nutritious with no refined sugars, but antioxidants in them AND tasty. Kids can munch on them or mom can have a few with the afternoon coffee!




No comments:

Post a Comment